[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text css=”.vc_custom_1480835517699{background-color: #d16545 !important;}”]


[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][ms-protect-content id=”1895,1478″][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”76100″ img_size=”large”][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]OVERVIEW


[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]DRIVERS’ DOCUMENTS

As the driver it is your responsibility to make sure you have the correct licence entitlement for the vehicle you are driving.

Other documents you must carry when driving in the UK include:

1) Driver Qualification Card

2) Tachograph card in vehicles fitted with a digital tachograph

3) The vehicle operator licence disc must be visible

If your licence is revoked for drink driving or other offences you will automatically lose your LGV entitlement.  You may also have to take an extended test once the ban has expired or convince the DVLA that you do not suffer from an alcohol problem.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_message message_box_color=”pink” icon_fontawesome=”fa fa-truck”]How to get and keep the full Driver CPC

Apply for a provisional lorry licence

Pass the 4 tests that make up the intital Driver CPC

Take 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to stay qualified.

Sign a declaration every 5 years until you’re 45 to show you still meet the medical standards.

Provide a medical report every 5 years after you’re 45 to renew your driving licence – you need to do this every year when you reach 65.

[/vc_message][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator color=”mulled_wine” border_width=”5″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_message]TIP

If lost, stolen or damaged you can drive without a driver card for a maximum of 15 calendar days.

During this time you must keep records by taking Vehicle Unit (VU) printouts, sign/ date and print your name on the back of them and retain them for inspection.[/vc_message][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]DIGITAL TACHOGRAPH

If the vehicle you are driving is fitted with a digital tachograph head then you MUST use your tachograph card.

You can only drive without a card if the one you previously have been issued with is lost, stolen, damaged or is malfunctioning.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator color=”mulled_wine” border_width=”5″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”76101″ img_size=”medium”][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]DRIVING IN EUROPE

You must carry the following when driving in Europe:

  • Insurance certificate
  • Vehicle registration documents
  • Driving licence

Some counties may require additional documentation.

All vehicle drivers, passengers and any crew members must have a valid passport.

You don’t need a visa for entry into other EU member states if you hold an EU passport, but you may need a visa if you’re travelling beyond the EU. You should check the entry requirements for the country you plan to travel to.

Drivers’ hours and tachographs
You must comply with EU rules on drivers’ hours and tachograph if you’re driving a goods vehicle within the EU.

However, working time rules vary and there are certain tachograph exemptions.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator color=”mulled_wine” border_width=”5″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]Insurance and medical documents for drivers

In some countries drivers are held to be legally responsible for their loads, whether or not they know of the contents.

It’s a good idea to leave photocopies of all medical, insurance and legal documents as back-up with family or friends in case you need copies outside of your company’s normal business hours.

In some EU and other countries your vehicle must carry warning equipment, such as visibility clothing and warning triangles and spare bulbs.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_message]TIP

Penalties for uninsured drivers can result in an unlimited fine and disqualification from driving
[/vc_message][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator color=”mulled_wine” border_width=”5″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”76102″ img_size=”medium”][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]CONSIGNMENT NOTES

The CMR is a consignment note with a standard set of transport and liability conditions, which replaces individual businesses’ terms and conditions. It confirms that the carrier (ie the road haulage company) has received the goods and that a contract of carriage exists between the trader and the carrier.


Generally there will be four copies of a CMR note.

Red – Kept by the Sender

Green – Kept with the vehicle (carrier)

Blue – Given to the receiver of the goods

White with black border – Spare copy


While the carrier is liable for any loss, damage or delay to a consignment until it is delivered, the trader is responsible for any loss or damage the carrier suffers resulting from incorrect details having been provided in the CMR note.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”76103″ img_size=”medium”][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]The TIR system

This allows vehicles to cross numerous borders without repeated customs checks. Goods are checked and sealed at the outset, and the vehicle is then waved through by customs authorities until it reaches its final destination..

TIR doesn’t apply to journeys within the EU because there are no customs checks for EU-only journeys.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator color=”mulled_wine” border_width=”5″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]SECURING YOUR VEHICLE

You can be fined if don’t have an effective system of securing your vehicle from clandestine entrants.

Security devices (eg a padlock, seals and tilt cord) to secure vehicles after loading

Checking the security devices and vehicle thoroughly after each stop and before entering the UK

Recording checks on a vehicle security checklist[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_message]TIP

You face a fine of up to £2,000 for each clandestine entrant you carry. The vehicle’s driver, owner or hirer can be fined.

The law applies to all arrivals into the UK, including from European sea ports and on the Eurotunnel Shuttle.[/vc_message][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator color=”mulled_wine” border_width=”5″][/vc_column][/vc_row][/ms-protect-content]