Companies carrying goods on their own-account do not require CMR notes.

A consignment note will suffice for those that can prove the journey is not for hire or reward

TIR stands for

Transports Internationaux Routiers and is an international harmonised customs transit system facilitating trade and transport, whilst effectively protecting the revenue of each country through which goods are carried.


You can carry out a limited number of cabotage and cross-trade jobs in an EU country if you’re a UK haulier with a UK Licence for the Community. The jobs must follow a journey where goods were transported from the UK.

UK Licences for the Community have replaced EU Community Licences.

You must have a certified copy of the UK Licence for the Community with you in the vehicle when you’re working in the EU.

The driver must show it to any enforcement officer when asked.

Cabotage is loading and unloading goods within one country using a vehicle registered in another country.

You can carry out up to 2 haulage jobs within the EU after dropping off goods from the UK. Only one of the jobs can be cabotage. 

You must complete the cabotage job:

1)Within seven days of dropping off the goods you brought from the UK

2)In the same EU country where you dropped off the goods from the UK

Cross-trade is loading goods in one country and unloading them in another country, with a vehicle registered in a third, different country.


There is more flexibility in the scheduling of the weekly rest periods for drivers when operating internationally.

A driver engaged in international transport of goods may, outside the country where their employer holds an operators licence, take two consecutive reduced weekly rest periods provided that the driver in any four consecutive weeks takes at least four weekly rest periods, of which, at least two shall be regular weekly rest periods.

When do these rules apply?

A driver is considered engaged in international transport when they start the two consecutive reduced weekly rest periods outside the country where the employer’s operating centre is based and the country of the drivers’ residence.​

A requirement for drivers’ to ‘return home’ every 4 weeks

A driver must return to the employer’s operating centre in the country where the employer holds the operating licence within each period of four consecutive weeks.

It is also possible to return to the drivers’ place of residence if this differs.

This must be for at least one regular weekly rest period or a weekly rest period of more than 45 hours if compensation is required.


If you drive a goods vehicle over 3.5 tonnes on international journeys, you must follow the rules on drivers’ hours and tachograph use.

If you’ve been sick or taken other time off in the 28 days before your journey, you should carry a form called an ‘attestation form’ from your employer.

It should reflect activities that could not be recorded via a tachograph due to technical reasons.

There can be several reasons why a driver may not be able to produce all the relevant evidence that an enforcement officer expects to find at a roadside check. 

It may be the case that he/she:


A regular daily rest period may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not exceed 1 hour.

This allows for a vehicle to be driven on to a ferry and off again at the end of the crossing. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be 11 hours.

A bunk or couchette must be available during the rest period.


You may also interrupt a reduced weekly rest.

Again, the rest may be interrupted no more than twice, and the total interruption must not exceed 1 hour.

A bunk or couchette is required and If you are interrupting a reduced weekly rest then the ferry journey must be at least 8 hours long.

You may NOT interrupt a reduced daily rest or a regular weekly rest